One of the first projects I attempted to DIY when I moved into our new house was to reupholster the twenty-five year old chair that my family had when I was growing up and which I had been storing for the past five years because I couldn't bear to bring the awful outdated watercolor pastel fabric into our house! The bones were great, but the wood frame was the wrong color and the fabric.... well the fabric was irredeemable. With lots of empty rooms and very little furniture, finding a way to use the chair was a no-brainer.
|Old Outdated Upholstery... |
But Gorgeous Chair!
I'm still not an expert, but sometimes just knowing where to look to find the advice you need is half the battle. So I am putting together all the tools that I found that allowed me - a total beginner - to attempt something like this! If anyone knows of some other great tutorials, tips, or anything valuable that would help someone learn to reupholster a piece of furniture with no experience, please leave a comment and let us know your resource!
- The Little Green Notebook has some of the best instructions on basic chair upholstery, hands down! Here's a couple from her blog: Part 1: Stripping the chair - Part 2: Painting the frame - Part 3: Reupholstering the Chair - Part 5: Sewing the Cushion
- How to Reupholster a Basic Chair (no arms) - By Better Homes and Gardens
- How to Reupholster a Dining Chair - from The Family Handyman
- How to Reupholster a Lazy Boy by the Do It Yourself Divas
- How to Reupholster a Bergere Chair - By The Hunted Interior
- How to Reupholster a Wing Chair - By All Things Thrifty
- How to Reupholster a Sofa Chair - By Savvy Design West
- How to Reupholster an Office Chair - By Centsational Girl
- How to Reupholster an Ottoman - By Home D-Zine
- How to Reupholster a Framed Headboard - By the Little Green Notebook
- Various Reupholstery Tutorials - By Design Intervention (including an arm tutorial)